Insurance - Protecting Your Property 

Self-Storage Insurance - Obtain Self-Storage Insurance for Peace of Mind

Although we do our utmost to provide a safe and secure place for you to store your property, self-storage facilities cannot be responsible for damage from fire, smoke, explosion, windstorm (tornado or hurricane), earthquake, water, burglary, or many other events that are not under the company's control. Self-Storage facilities cannot provide blanket coverage for your goods. The costs would be prohibitive,  since the value of property stored is individualized.

Consider purchasing insurance from a company that specializes in Self-Storage Insurance. Check with our office or your insurance agent for recommendations. 

Whether you are moving yourself, or using a professional moving company, insuring your goods is an important issue. Neither professional moving companies or self-storage facilities can cover your goods to protect against fire, flood, lightning strikes, etc. Most Homeowner's or Renter's policies will not cover your goods either. However, some will; so check with your insurance agent first. You may already be covered for transit and/or storage of your property. (read more)

Valuation" is not Insurance
"Valuation" is the amount of liability a moving company will accept for the value of your goods while in their possession. Valuation is not insurance. The value of the things you move is based on the total weight of the shipment multiplied by a specific amount per pound (example; $.60 per pound). For instance, if your possessions weigh 10,000 pounds the mover would be liable for up to $6,000. Claim settlement is then based on the depreciated value of the item(s) damaged. You can purchase valuation from your moving company, yet the cost is often higher than insurance with less extensive coverage.

Moving insurance will offer protection against "acts of God" (e.g. floods, tornadoes, lightening strikes, etc.) and will cover you specifically for the items listed on your contract at their replacement cost.
Make an inventory list, and take pictures of the items you are moving. This is important in establishing the condition of your possessions and it helps in confirming the inventory list.

If you decide to just depend on the Valuation provided by the moving company (not recommended), weigh each valuable item as you are taking pictures, and add this to your inventory list.

In the event that something should happen to your belongings and you have to file a moving claim, you must do so within 9 months of the event. You should also note the problem on the moving van driver's copy of the bill of lading before signing it. Your mover will then have 30 days to acknowledge receipt of your claim. Within 120 days of receiving your claim, the mover must either deny the claim or make an offer to pay.

Check with your insurance agent for further information. When evaluating Homeowner or Renter policies, make sure your policy covers packing and loading/unloading, as well as transit coverage.

Self-Move - Make Sure You Are Covered for Load/Unload as well as Transit

If you are renting a truck to move your goods, ask your rental agent about insurance. Most companies will provide additional insurance to cover damage to your property. The best policies will cover accidental damage while you are loading/unloading, as well as while you are in transit.

If you are using your own vehicle, check with your vehicle insurance agent to see what type of coverage may apply. You might want to consider additional insurance to cover your move, which may require a separate policy. You can obtain a policy that will cover your entire move and guard against accidental damage, as well as damage from other causes.



Write a review